combo jointer/ planer vs. separate machine user opinions

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Good morning all - prob/ certainly not the first time this question has been asked, but dealing w/ what I hope to be one of my last small shop struggles, though likely on the last phase here. I would really like to bring in a small edge sander into my shop, but as a small (hobby) shop, that eats up a good amount of floor space of course. This has me looking at a combo jointer/ planer, (Hammer A3-31, 12" likely), to replace my current stand-alone jointer and planer, to essentially eat the same footprints/ infeed/ outfeed paths.

My current J/P setup is a very nice (restored) Delta Rockwell 8" potbelly jointer w/ a helical head, and a General 130 (Canadian made) 14" standard knife planer. I'm typically an OWWM guy, and have my OWWM approved edge sander waiting in the wings, and these are both very nice/ finely tuned machines - no real upgrades in their capacity categories as far as I'm concerned. The only reason I would consider passing them along is to conserve space/ footprints in favor of a combo. I'm also prob in the minority here, but I actually do prefer the euro guard on jointers vs/ the pork-chop, (though not a deal breaker either way of course).

The obvious comparisons are capacity and workflow:

Re: capacity, I'd gain 4" in face-jointing ability, and loose 2" in planing ability. Face jointing boards wider than ~7.5" w/o a planer sled would certainly be nice at times, and I DO run into that need semi-regularly. I really don't often exceed the need to plane wider than 12", but Murphy's law guarantees that if I go through w/ this, I'm sure I'll have all kinds of ~13" tops/ boards to deal with, ha. The bed on the Hammer is ~2" shorter than my Delta 8" jointer, but I see that hammer offers 12" extension wings if that ever becomes an issue.

Re: workflow - I'm just a hobby guy - no real production efficiency drivers - and from that standpoint, I'm not crazy concerned about having to think through/ stagger my jointing vs planning operations. W/ a digital gauge on the planer, its fairly easy to dial back in to semi-exact thicknesses if I ever need to. I had a Jet J/P years ago, and it never really bothered/ hindered me, other than the occasional eye-roll if I had to flip-flop on something.

The above said, any converts one way or the other here? Any "gotchas" I'm not seeing/ thinking about on paper? This would be a significant purchase/ move/ reorganization, so really don't want to have buyers remorse here if it can be avoided.

A A3-41, (16" capacity) would certainly be nice, but that adds a LOT of cash, and a LOT of footprint, leaving me planning on the A3-31 if I make the switch.

Thanks!

HMH

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have the Jet JJP-12HH 12" combo with the helical head. The only way I could have separates in my one-bay space would be to give up another stationary tool.

The only thing I'd change about it is to have flat cast iron instead of the wavy, "low-friction" surface. Newer models have flat surfaces. Mine is about 10 years old.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I looked into them a bit ago.
They are a bit more "flexible" than heavy iron tools. How much and if that matters, I have no clue. Martin would answer better.
They take time to set up to change functions. How fine a level of adjustment gets off I have heard complaints from both Jet and H-F.
If I was to get one, It would be the H-F, not a Jet or Griz. Still almost 6 grand to your door and you would still need to go looking for a helical head.
I have never planed more than 3 inches tall, so that would not be an issue. Being able to joint 12 or more inches might be nice, but I find I can get a plank good enough to run through my planer by hand pretty quick. So, my conclusion was to keep my 6 inch jointer and wish for a heavy duty planer. If I was going to spend 6K, it would be for a P-M planer. I hate my DeWalt, but it works. Is the MiniMax the same as the Hanner? Baleigh lists one, but I am sure it is OEM'd

I deal with my in-feed and outfeed with casters.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
My reply is the same as Martin's. Sometimes the need to change the machine is a little inconvenient, and it would be nice to joint longer boards without having to add some infeed/ outfeed support, but it's all minor. Space savings and wide jointing capacity outweigh such concerns.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I have the Jet JJP-12HH 12" combo with the helical head. The only way I could have separates in my one-bay space would be to give up another stationary tool.

The only thing I'd change about it is to have flat cast iron instead of the wavy, "low-friction" surface. Newer models have flat surfaces. Mine is about 10 years old.
I agree with this. I also have the "wavy" surface and would prefer a flat surface. I do not find the conversion dificult or time consuming. You will have to have a dust hose long enough to connect for both configurations. I went from a Mikita planer and small Jet jointer.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Also the price for this machine has gone up a lot in the 15 years since I bought mine. I think it was about $2,500 back then.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Back in the 90s I did a review of some of those machines for a hobby woodworking magazine. This was when Inca was still available.
My take: Not a fan!
Its one of those those "in theory and in practice" situations.
One cutterhead. Two surfaces. For optimum results, both of those surfaces have to be exactly parallel to the cutterhead for the set in the knives to work. Those beds I checked were anything but parallel, particularly the jointer beds.

Most of the units I tried need fifty or so turns of the bed lowering handle to lower the bed enough to get the dust collection box in place.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I have an A 3 41 and think it is great. Thickness is highly repeatable with the calibrated wheel, and changing from jointer to planer is no big deal. Jointing a long board (8 ft) is not a problem. Longer than that I have to use roller stands, but I don't joint anything that long frequently (even 8). I know it takes more space, but I can't imagine that you would regret the machine.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Just reviewed a lot of the you-tubers. Seems none of them are too thrilled. Best to see if you can visit a happy owner and play with one yourself.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
There have been some combo machines that take up a lot of room.

jointer planer B&M.jpg

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Heath, I have a Minimax FS41E that I have owned since 2003. I purchased the machine mainly because I wanted the ability to process wide lumber, the j/p will process a 16” (410 mm) wide board, I use this ability very often when building traditional furniture.

Ironically, my first shop in NC had tons of room, that could have supported separates very easily, the cost of the j/p vs separate machines was very attractive. I am glad that I chose the j/p route, as my current shop just barely has enough room to support the j/p.

Last edited:

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Thanks guys - you’ve helped me make up my mind to go for it, all that’s left is the crying. New machines are definitely spendy, but used machines seem to hold their value very well, (50-60% of new, for a 15-20yr old machine w/ straight knives and u known history), and don’t pop up super often, so weighing the options there, (new w/ a helical head vs used w/ straight knives). Pretty much set in the Hammer or SCMI at this point, but weighing all options. Thanks for the feedback!

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Combo machines were originally developed for the European market where shops were traditionally space challenged. I went from a Jet 6" jointer and Parks 12" planer, both with straight knives, to the Hammer A3-41 16" machine with the Silent Power spiral cutter head. Space saving was the primary decision maker, as I only have a 16 foot wide space. I am not a production shop with employees so no need for big, heavy and expensive separate machines. If the lottery would cooperate I would visit the Martin showroom and have a field day.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
You’ve made your decision. For me personally, THE only reason I would buy one is space. No way I would swap out what you‘ve got for separate machines. Just one example - I’m at the table saw and see an edge that needs jointing. But I have to convert the machine for one board, then 3 minutes later flip it back for planing. That would drive me nuts.

If this is for the wider jointer, there is a technique to joint wider boards on an 8” jointer.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
You’ve made your decision. For me personally, THE only reason I would buy one is space. No way I would swap out what you‘ve got for separate machines. Just one example - I’m at the table saw and see an edge that needs jointing. But I have to convert the machine for one board, then 3 minutes later flip it back for planing. That would drive me nuts.

If this is for the wider jointer, there is a technique to joint wider boards on an 8” jointer.
I agree with this completely, This is why the shopsmith never took off. Best of luck with your decision.

mpeele

michael
User
I guess I have a combo machine it has one motor but heads. So there is no reconfiguration when switching between jointing and planning. Its a Hitachi F1000-A. You loose jointing capacity but you save some on floor space over 2 machines.

I don't think this style of combo is sold by anyone any more.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS