Building rifle stocks in Durham

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Well I have received lots of questions and comments on rifle building after featuring curly maple stocks in the Shop in Durham post. The jist of the questions are centered around the "furniture" on the rifles done in brass. This was not uncommon in the period when they were built and its not a 21st century twist. I like to make my smaller caliper rifles with bright parts like they were done years ago. The heavy gage rifles are another story. If you are wondering about the large caliper rifles, they were built for the man going to the western part of the country and NOT coming back for repairs. I will point out some of the unique building methods the Hawken Brothers used to illustrate.

1714488842227.jpeg

100_0146.JPG

Now I'd like to show the genuine Hawken rifle as they were built in St Louis. Most obvious is the lack of brass on the rifle and the use of iron in the place where brass was used on the lighter gage rifles.

1714489784938.png

This is called an iron mounted Hawken rifle. It has some features built in to make it tougher than the Kentucky rifle and considerably easier to clean in the field. As you look at the rifle notice the iron bar down the wrist section is double bolted to the trigger guard. In the original sales brochure it was stated that this could be used to kill a "savage" if lthey rushed you in the battle without regard for the rifle's welfare at risk. This was quite a rifle for its day. The barrel is tapered from the rear to the muzzle to give it better balance when shooting. Generally, they were around 50-54 caliper bores.
1714489851942.png
y

The butt plate was iron and rust protected with acid to stop further rusting. A little fat or "tallow" was used for that maintenance. You might wonder ?? How did they carry this heavy rifle? On a horse most of the time. The Hawken was largelly ignored at the start of the Civil War. If could not be mass produced for the Army of the North or the Confederacy. Its accuracy was far better than the smooth bore rifles used by the infanty soldiers. I have hit the bull at 150 yards and I am not a good shooter.
1714489940578.png
1714490023703.png

1714491091300.png

The Hawken had only iron sights for shooting

Well that's about it on the Hawken rifle folks - you can send questions to me if you want more info

Last edited:

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Absolutely beautiful work, Dan! I am guessing these would date from the 1820's to 1850's after reading your commentary on their potential use in the Civil War and their use of percussion cap firing design. Are these restorations or recreations? Again, beautiful craftsmanship throughout. Thanks for sharing your talent.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Absolutely beautiful work, Dan! I am guessing these would date from the 1820's to 1850's after reading your commentary on their potential use in the Civil War and their use of percussion cap firing design. Are these restorations or recreations? Again, beautiful craftsmanship throughout. Thanks for sharing your talent.
These rifles are built from parts I forge and some from parts suppliers of blackpowder rifles. The wood and the quality of the curly maple makes all the difference when building. I get my sugar maple from NH and my curly red maple from sawyers in NC when its found.

Your guess on the date of the use is correct 1840, To tell the truth, I love shooting the Hawken rifles and the cleanup is easy, The flintlocks always impress viewers when you touch them off its just a novelty for people to see them in action.

1714510065446.png
1714510109646.png
1714510145285.png

With the Kentucky rifle there's so much you can add and create rifle from a region you like.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS