Small blanket chest project

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Time to put the top of the chest together. I was hoping to get wider boards to do a 2-piece panel for the top, but I came up a bit short so I went with a 3-piece glue-up. The wood has been in the shop for several weeks skip-planed. Yesterday I planed it to final thickness of about 13/16 , jointed and worked the glue edges to a spring fit with hand planes. Sitting overnight showed no movement.
IMG_0790.jpeg IMG_0796.jpeg Photo on left shows the end of unclamped spring joint while photo on right shows the thin spring space near the center.

IMG_0797.jpeg Glued joints with clamps. Really the spring joint needed only the bar clamp in the center to secure it. It is really surprising how little force is needed to clamp a spring joint tight with a nine-inch board. But I always use clamps on both sides to equalize the pressure. The vertical clamps are basically to keep the boards from sliding as the cross clamp force is applied. The boards sat flat on the jig without them.
IMG_0799.jpeg Last photo shows the squeeze-out near the center of the spring joint. I’ll wait half an hour and scrape it off after it becomes rubbery.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS