This tutorial is assuming that you have basic computer skills (you wouldn't be here if you didn't ). To include a picture in your forum post, you need to do two things:
- Make the picture available on the Web
- Add the picture to your post.
The easiest way to learn how to do this is to view the video tutorial (3m02s). Or, use the instructions below.
Make the picture available on the Web
To make the picture available, you need to upload it to a web site. Fortunately, North Carolina Woodworker has its own Photo Gallery where you can store your pictures. You can also use one of the many (free) photo sites such as Flickr or Photobucket. The instructions here will walk you through the process of uploading a photo to NCCWW.
- Click on the "Gallery" link in the Menu.
- On the right hand side of the screen, below the menu bar click "Upload photos"
- Select the category to upload the photo to. Typically, this would be "Member Galleries", which puts it in your own Photo Gallery. You can also select an album if you have previously created one.
- Click the "Select Files for Upload" button. This opens a dialog window enabling you to select the file you want to upload. Most likely, this file will reside on your computer under "My Documents" - "My Pictures".
- Optionally, enter a title, description and keywords for your photo
- Click "Upload/ Submit"
- Wait for the "Processing" screen to appear, after a few seconds you'll be taken to the "Add photo page". This page shows you thumbnails of the picture(s) you've uploaded
- Optionally, change the title, description, keywords or destination on this page
- Click "Process"
That's it! Your picture is now stored on the North Carolina Woodworker server, ready for inclusion in a post.
Add the picture to your post
To include a picture, start your forum post as normal (by creating a new thread or replying to an existing thread).
- On the toolbar on the message editing area, click the "Insert photo button" . A window will pop up that has thumbnails of the pictures in the Photo Gallery
- Click on the picture(s) you want to include
- Close the popup window via the "Close Window" on the top right of the window
If your photo is stored on a site such as PhotoBucket, instead use the "Insert Image" button (next to the Insert Photo button") and paste the URL to the photo.